Dec 4, 2013

Figure drawings and paintings from ACAD extended class

I am taking two ACAD extended classes this winter, Figure Drawing with instructor Mark Vazquez-Mackay and Figure Drawing with instructor David Folk. Both classes are excellent and help me improve my figure art skill a lot.

I have always feel more confident with my drawing skills than painting, since I was a little boy i went to art class to study drawing and painting skill, but i mostly avoid the painting class i was really lazy and don't want to bring all the painting materials and washing brushes and cleaning color pallet etc. So although i know some of the important theory for painting such as color theory, environment rules, and paint from dark to light,  I didn't really practice it much.

In the figure painting class I got chance to explore techniques to express figure with acrylic which i never done before, at beginning of the class I was still "drawing" figures with brushes, but quickly I started really painting with the material, this class gives me a chance to apply these old knowledge of color theory I learned long time ago, and skin tone is such a wonderful thing to painting, it is so rich in colors' changes, very nicely affected by environment, and very lively.

For figure drawing class I got to explore more drawing medias and large scales drawing which I haven't really done much (most of my previous figure drawings are pencil in sketchbook). This helped me to use my body to draw, and make the drawing process much more passionate, and i start to feel brave to use all different materials in one single piece of work, focus on the expression instead of the accuracy of the figure.


Some of my recent figure drawing and painting works:




No comments: